- Reread more books - failed. I used to average a book a week, but I was also counting 20-page picture books I read for the kids. I set my goal low to account for not counting [most] children's books and for rereading books, and I still didn't read as many new books as I intended. Didn't reread a single one that I intended to.
- Continue kicking ass in my engineering classes - partially complete. I felt I did well in Calculus I but got a poor grade - I'm pretty sure they actually lost my final exam. Felt I did poorly in Calculus II but got a decent grade. Did pretty-to-very well in English composition, public speaking, intro to engineering, physics I and chemistry. AS graduation and transfer pushed back to December 2017 - having trouble sustaining the courseload I would like.
- Be more vigilant about recycling - completed, though still room for improvement with glass and white office paper.
- Get a real-time RPG group going - completed, and will likely have an in-person group starting later this month. I'm currently learning Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition and writing up a worldbuild to that effect.
We had Netflix this year, but we're going to cancel it since it's not that great and we'd rather have the financial breathing room than ad-free streaming. I didn't watch that many movies, and certainly not that many good ones, I mostly watched period political intrigue dramas (The Tudors, The Borgias, Marco Polo, The Last Kingdom) and finished off series that I had once followed but lost track of at some point (Phineas and Ferb, Person of Interest, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic).Anime
- GATE 4/5
- So-Ra-No-Wo-To (Sound of the Sky) 3.5/5
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 3.5/5
- His Majesty's Dragon and Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik 4/5
- Nobody Likes a Goblin by Ben Hatke 4/5
- There is a Tribe of Kids by Lane Smith 4/5
- The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage by Sidney Padua 4/5
- Storks 4+/5
- Kung Fu Panda 3 4/5
- Finding Dory 3+/5
- Kubo and the Two Strings 3+/5
- The Pirates 3+/5
- The Tale of Princess Kaguya 3+/5
I went to the movie theater three times this year! Notable movies: Gran Torino - had to watch for a class, greatest experience:expectation ratio, Ex Machina - best damn movie that I cannot in good faith recommend and absolutely never want to see againTV
- Galavant 3+/5
- Wakfu 3+/5
About a year ago, I started becoming interested in Judaism. I had and still have this ominous but as-yet-baseless premonition that in the near future it's going to get really difficult to be a Mormon in this world, and if anyone knows the secret to maintaining your faith and cultural identity in the face of persecution...
So one thing led to another and we ended up observing Hanukkah this year. It was weird and awkward at first, because I've never known anyone who observed Hanukkah, but by the end of it, the kids and I were really getting into it. It led to a lot of great gospel conversations and it resonates deeply with a lot of important Mormon doctrines about temples, miracles, consacration, covenants, commandments, and being a light in the world. I think we're going to make it a regular part of our holidays, but we're going to need a real menorah, because the one I made is a fire hazard.